Friday, January 15, 2010

Opera baby.

The first 'major' summer program Bray was accepted into was The Music Academy of the West in Santa Barbara, CA. At the time, I had just finished my senior year of college, and we were expecting our first child in late June. The program was scheduled to start in the second week of June, and so, without really hesitating, we decided to move down for the summer and have our son, Hobbes, there. Once again, the crazy label was applied to us, but we figured this was a great opportunity, and one Bray should not miss out on. Unfortunately, most summer programs do not provide married housing, so we found a place online in downtown Santa Barbara, and spent what little money we had at the time to rent it early. I have many stories related to that-I can't in good conscience say apartment-but I will save those for another day.

To make things even more interesting, Hobbes was 2 weeks late, and due to the 4th of July, I could not be induced until the 6th, much to the dismay of my parents who had flown down and needed to fly back for a conference on the 4th. On the 6th, I went and picked Bray up from rehearsal, and then went and checked in at the hospital. Hobbes was born the next afternoon, and Bray was able to spend the day with me. However, the show must go on, and so he had to be at rehearsals the next day. I was scheduled to be released from the hospital after 2 nights, but due to Bray's schedule, I had to wait till his lunch break so that he could come pick me up. He only had about 45 minutes, and after all the inspections, and double-checking to make sure they gave us the right baby, we went straight from the hospital to the campus where they rehearsed. I can still remember being in one of the beautiful, empty rehearsal halls, holding Hobbes and waiting for Bray to be done. Although unusual, it was actually a lovely afternoon, and I enjoyed sitting with my newborn son, listening to the sounds of opera singers rehearsing Cosi fan Tutte.

Hobbes was a hit with all the Music Academy members and audience, and was even given a lovely outfit from Marilyn Horne herself. He was a really good baby, and believe it or not, I brought him with me to most of the masterclasses. He has been listening to opera since before he was born, and I hope he continues to do so as he grows older!














Outside our 'apartment' in Santa Barbara, 1 week after Hobbes was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment